Kelly's Directory 1899
HASTINGS, the chief of the Cinque Ports, is a popular seaside resort, municipal, parliamentary and county borough, market and union town and head of a petty sessional division and county court district, with a railway station, and is near the eastern extremity of Sussex, being the chief town of the county, rural deanery of Hastings (first division), archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester, situated in 50° 34' N. lat. and 0° 37' E. long and distant from London about 63 miles by road and 74 by railway, through Lewes, by the London, Brighton and South Coast railway, but only 60 by the line through Sevenoaks by the South Eastern railway, both lines coming to the same station; and it is 24 miles east from Brighton, 17 ½ north-east from Eastbourne, 26 ½ east from Lewes, 28 south-east from Tunbridge Wells and 26 ½ south-west from Ashford. Of the authentic history of Hastings prior to the 11th century, little is known and this more or less conjecturally. The Roman remains on East Hill seems to indicate it as the probable site of a Raman station; and some authors contend that the castle was originally a Roman fortress, repaired by the Conqueror; however that may be, it seems certain that Hastings can lay claim to a considerable antiquity, for in A. D. 792 Hastings and Pevensey, with their marshes, are named as having been given by Berodalbus, one of Offa’s chieftains, to the monastery of St. Denis. In the reign of Athelstan, A. D. 924, the place possessed a mint, which it maintained until the time of William Rufus; in 1090 the bishops and nobles assembled at the castle by order of the King; who in 1094 collected here a large army, as did Henry 1. in 1101; in the reign of Richard II. the town was pillaged and burnt, and after its rebuilding was divided into two parishes.
Hastings, as one of the Cinque Ports, appears to have returned two members to Parliament, or at all events did so from 5 Richard II. (1381); but under the provisions of the “Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885” (48 & 49 Vict. c. 23), the number was reduced to one. The borough was incorporated by charter of Queen Elizabeth 111 1588, and this charter was confirmed by Charles II.; under the “Municipal Corporations Act, 1832” (5 and 6 Wm. IV. c. 76), the Corporation, previously consisting of a bailiff or mayor, and jurats, consisted of a mayor, six Aldermen, and eighteen councillors, and for municipal purposes was divided into six wards; in 1897 the Borough was extended by Local Government Boards Provisional Order Confirmation. (No. 17, Act, 1897), and now exceeds the parliamentary borough in extent, and is governed by a mayor, 10 Aldermen, and 30 councillors, and for municipal purposes is divided into ten wards. The extensions to the borough consist of the remainder of the civil parish of Ore, the whole of St. Matthew ecclesiastical parish and a part of civil parish. The borough has a commission of the peace, a separate court of quarter sessions and a police force. Under the provisions of the “Local Government Act, 1888,” it was declared a county borough for certain purposes.
This modern watering place consists of the towns of Hastings and St. Leonards-on-Sea, and comprises a frontage towards the sea of 3 miles: it is a great resort for invalids and is much frequented by visitors for sea bathing on account of its warm and sheltered aspect, ensuring it a milder climate in the winter than that of many other watering places; its exemption from damp and mist, its cooler atmosphere in summer and the smallness of its daily range of temperature compared with that of other places, besides the beauty of its surrounding scenery, add to its attractions.
The old town is situated in a valley between two high hills, known as the East and West cliffs, and runs along the seashore, at the base of a range of steep cliffs, which protect it in a considerable degree from the north and north-east winds. The more modern portion commences about the middle of the sea front, and from westward; all this portion is popularly known as St. Leonards, although St. Leonards proper is but a comparatively small district at the westernmost end.
The pier is an elegant structure of iron, erected by a company at a cost of £32,000; it is 920 feet in length and 40 feet in width, and at the south or seaward end is a pavilion 120 feet in length by 80 in breadth and holding 2,000 people; here an excellent band, numbering 16 performers, plays three times daily during August, September and October, under the direction of Dr. Abram, vocal and instrumental concerts, variety and dramatic entertainments are also given during the remaining nine months.
The town is well drained; the sewage being discharged twice daily, both at the east and west end, and in such a manner that the entire outflow is carried many miles away to sea by the action of the tide.
The Wealden district, of which Hastings sands form the lower half, offers a deeply interesting field of investigation to the geologist. On the beach are found stems of tropical palms (Endogenites Erosa) and other fossilized remains of submerged forests.
The strata in the Hastings district consist of the formations called (i) the “Wealden,” a fresh-water deposit, about 2,000 feet thick, lying between the Chalk and the Oolite, forming the lowest or “Neocomian” division of the Cretaceous system, and divided into two groups, the Weald Clay and the Hastings Sands (the former of which does not occur in the district), and (ii) the “Purbecks,” the upper or “Portlandian” division of the Jurassic System, a fresh-water and estuarian deposit which occurs only in the neighbourhood of Netherfield and Brightling.
Here the boring terminated, April 12th, 1876, at a depth of 1,905 feet, unfortunately without the discovery of the Palaeozoic rocks, which are supposed to underlie the South East of England.
Hastings, St. Leonards and suburbs are supplied with gas by a private company whose offices and works are in Queen’s road.
The town is also partly lit with the electric light supplied by the Hastings and St. Leonards Electric Light Co. Limited; 30 miles of underground cable have been laid and the whole of the sea front from the Fish Market to end of, a distance of 3 miles, as well as the Hastings pier, is now lighted with are lamps.
Water is supplied from works, the property of the Corporation.
Hastings comprises the parishes of All Saints, St. Clement, St. Mary-in-the-Castle, St. Andrew, St. Leonard, St. Mary Magdalan, St. Michael-on-the-Rock, St. Mary,,: St. John, St. Matthew and St. Helens. The three last-named are newly-formed civil parishes; St. John, taken from the old parish of that name; St. Matthew, an ecclesiastical parish, and St. Helen, comprising a greater part of Ore civil parish and the ecclesiastical parish of.
All Saints’ church is an ancient structure, partly of flint and stone and chiefly in the Perpendicular style, and has a tower containing 5 bells: there is a slab of black marble with figures of a man and woman, the date of which is given as 1458, and a brass to Thomas Goodenough, and Margaret his wife; the east window is a memorial to the 8th Earl of Waldegrave, and there are others: the church will seat 650 persons: in the graveyard attached to this church George Mogridge (Old Humphrey) is buried; he died at Hastings, November 2, 1854. The register dates from the year 1558, and contains an entry of the baptism of the notorious Titus Oates, whose father was a former rector of this parish. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £104, with glebe, value £64, in the gift of and held since 1862 by the Rev. George Alfred Foyster M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.
St. Clement’s church is also chiefly in the Perpendicular style, and has a tower containing 8 bells, several brasses, and monuments to the families of Milward, Collier, and Delves: the east window and others are memorials to the Waldegrave family, Earls Waldegrave: two cannon balls, embedded in the tower, commemorate an attack made by the French and Dutch in 1720: there are 800 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £150, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1861 by the Rev. Henry Brereton Foyster M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, prebendary of Chichester, and surrogate. St. Clement’s and All Saints were united in 1770, but have been separated since 1849.
St. Mary’s-in-the-Castle, erected in 1826, is of stone, in the Classic style, and has a turret containing one bell: the church has been restored, and affords 1,500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1828. The Royal Free Chapel of St. Mary within the castle, a structure entirely independent of the Bishops of Chichester, after being buried for centuries, was, in 1824, uncovered by the Earl of Chichester. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, in the gift of Hyndman’s trustees, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Frederick Whitfield B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin.
St. Andrew’s, Queen’s road, erected in 1869, at a cost of £3,600, is of stone, in the Early English style, and has a tower with spire containing one bell: there are 750 sittings, half being free. The register dates from the year 1869. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £311, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Arthr. Vandeleur William Carden M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge.
All Souls, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed July 12, 1889, out of All Saints: the church, in Athelstan road, was built in 1890, at a cost of about £10,000, in the Early English style: in 1893 four stained windows and a font of Caen stone were erected and an organ provided at a cost of £1,250. The register dates from July, 1891. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £110, in the gift of Mrs. Mason, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Edward Francis Penrice Durnford M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge.
BLACKLANDS ecclesiastical parish was formed In July, 1881, out of the parishes of St. Mary-in-the-Castle, Hastings and Ore. Christ Church, built in 1877, is of stone, in the Early English style, and has a tower containing 6 bells: there are 800 sittings. The register dates from the year 1881. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £450, with residence, in the gift of R. F, Martin esq. and the Rev. J. Martin, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Alfd. Hodges M.A. of Hertford College, Oxford.
Emmanuel is an ecclesiastical parish formed Feb. 5, 1875; the church, built in 1874 at a cost of £4,500, is of brick and stone, in the Early English style, and has a tower containing a clock and 3 bells: the church was enlarged in 1892, at a cost of £1,700, and affords 450 sittings, one half being free. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, in the gift of Hyndman’s trustees, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Sholto John Henry Newman B.A. of Queen’s College, Cambridge.
Holy Trinity is an ecclesiastical parish, formed March 1st, 1882, and comprises the small civil parish of St. Michael: the church, in Robertson street, erected during 1851—9, at a cost of £8,000, is of stone, in the French Gothic style, and has 900 sittings. The register (baptisms only) dates from the year 1864; marriages from 1882. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Robert Edward Sanderson D. D. of Lincoln College, Oxford, canon residentiary and prebendary of Chichester, and proctor in Convocation.
HALTON is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1838 from St. Clement’s, Hastings: the church of St. Clement is of stone, erected in 1838, and has a turret containing one bell: it was restored and enlarged in 1888, and affords 540 sittings, 360 being free. The register dates from the year 1838. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £204, with 1 ½ acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Albert Moore O’Connor Macdona M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin.
The Fishermen’s church, under the East Cliff, erected in 1854 at a cost of £600, is of stone, in the Pointed style, with a gable bellcote and one bell: there are 250 sittings. The chaplaincy, in the appointment of the rectors of St. Clement’s and All Saints’, has been held since 1895 by the Rev. Herbert John Sanders. There is an endowment of £80 yearly, and the St. Andrew’s Waterside Church Mission gives a grant of £50 towards the stipend.
The Catholic church, in High street, dedicated to St. Mary, Star of the Sea, and erected in 1882, at a cost of £11,500, is of beach pebbles with Bath stone dressings, in the English Gothic style of the 15th century, and affords 750 sittings; Rev. Dominic Crescitelli and Rev. Aloysius Monselli, priests.
There are Congregational, Baptist, Calvinistic, Unitarian, and Wesleyan chapels, besides other Dissenting places of worship, and a meeting house, in South terace, for the Society of Friends.
The Borough Cemetery, 2 miles north-east, was opened in 1856, and, with subsequent extensions, covers 36 acres; 32 acres of land adjoining Ore cemetery, purchased in 1890, remains for future extensions; with two mortuary chapels; the whole is under the control of the Town Council acting as a Burial Board.
The Town Hall, erected in 1880, at a cost of £20,000, is of stone, in the Gothic style, and includes a council room with stained windows, police court, committee and magistrates’ rooms, and apartments for juries and witnesses, with separate offices for the town officials. Adjoining is the, with a number of police cells and other offices.
The School of Science and Art, in Claremont, was erected in 1878, and is of red brick with stone dressings, in the Early French Gothic style; it comprises a library and museum and a large public room. The library contains about 8,000 volumes; it is under the control of the Corporation, and is open free daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
In the Assembly Room is a fine group in marble representing “Edith finding the body of Harold on the battle-field of Hastings.”
The Hastings Public Hall, in Robertson street, erected in 1859, is a building in the Classic style, holding 700 persons.
The fruit market, in George street, is open every day, and a corn market is held over it every Saturday.
The fish market, erected in 1870, on the east beach, is an octagonal building, and has twelve stands. The local fishery, which is large and increasing, employs 150 boats, averaging about 12 tons each, but varying from 5 to 30 tons each. Among the various shell fish met with on the rocks is the Purpurea Lapillus, which is especially interesting as yielding, in common with the Murex of the Mediterranean, the rich and famous Tyrian purple dye.
The Hastings Baths at White Rock, erected by a limited company during 1876—9, at an expenditure of £60,000, comprise a swimming bath for gentlemen 180 by 40 feet, a swimming bath for ladies, and another for children; private baths, public lavatories and hair cutting saloons for ladies and gentlemen, and a Turkish bath for gentlemen.
The Borough Fire Brigade, established in June, 1861, comprises a captain, surgeon and 3 lieutenants, with a staff of 70 men, divided into nine sections, the principal station being in Middle street. There are six manuals, one steamer and five escapes, one in the High street, one at the Central cricket ground, Queen’s road, one at Undercliff, St. Leonards, one in Mount road,, and one in Corporation yard,; nine hose reels and six fire pumps, and one escape and reel combined; the residences of the firemen being connected by telephone and electric bells with the principal station, they can all, in case of fire, be summoned immediately.
Hastings Hydropathic Establishment, opened in 1884, is situated on the Old London road, in grounds 5 acres in extent.
The Gaiety Theatre, in Queen’s road, opposite the Town Hall, and opened 1 August, 1882, will hold about 1,500 persons.
The Hastings Batteries of the 2nd Cinque Ports Artillery Brigade, Eastern division, Royal Artillery, have orderly rooms in Rock-a-Nore and Fairlight roads and the 1st Cinque Ports Rifle Volunteers have head quarters in Middle street.
Another fountain, standing at the top of High street, was erected at a cost of £1,000, to Francis William Staines esq. J.P.; and immediately below the East Cliff is the East Well, built in 1848.
The Albert Memorial, near the Queen’s Hotel, erected by public subscription at a cost of £860, consists of a tower, in the Gothic style, containing an illuminated clock, placed in the tower by the Town Council, at a cost of upwards of £200; on one side, within a niche, is a statue of H. R. H, the Prince Consort: one of the four sides of the basement is furnished with a drinking fountain.
The Hastings, St. Leonards and East Sussex Hospital, at White Rock, erected in 1886—7, at a cost of £18,000 is of red brick, with Portland stone dressings, the wards being arranged in two circular wings attached to a central building; there are 73 beds; the hospital is supported by voluntary subscriptions; the number of in-patients for 1997 was 636, and of out-patients, 4,896.
Beau Site Convalescent Home in White Rock gardens, was opened 21 July, 1886, for the deserving poor (male and female), of 16 years of age and upwards, recovering from non-infectious maladies, accidents, or other causes; patients are free of all charge, and an annual subscription of one guinea entitles the subscriber to send one patient for three weeks.
The charities for distribution amount to £250 yearly.
Hastings Castle was built in the reign of William the Norman, and occupies the site of a more ancient fortress; the ruins cover an area of about an acre and a half, now laid out as ornamental gardens, open to the public on payment of a small fee: in 1591 it passed by purchase to the family of Pelham.
The town and neighbourhood offer many other objects of interest to the antiquary and pedestrian; on the west side of the castle is the Priory valley, so called from the Priory of Holy Trinity, founded here in the time of Richard I. by Sir W. Briset, for Canons of the Order of St. Augustine, but gradually destroyed by the encroachments of the sea; towards the sea on the east side of the castle are some remains of the old walls, which once protected the town on the sea side; and here the fishermen, Danish by descent, and distinguished alike by their garb and dialect, have always lived apart from the other townsmen; on the East hill, from 300 to 400 feet high, and for the most part uninclosed, the lines of a Roman camp may be traced. The Bourne valley, so called from an old stream which has long since ceased to flow, is the oldest and quaintest part of the town and includes streets with many picturesque old houses; from Fairlight, which rises to a height of 600 feet above the sea, the coast of France and the Dover cliffs are distinctly seen on a fine day. In are the Dripping Well and the Lovers’ Seat. Ecclesbourne Glen, a natural spot overshadowed by trees, where ferns grow in profusion, is on the east side of the town, and on the west side is, chiefly remarkable for the picturesque and secluded church of St. Leonard, known as “the Old Church in the Wood;” northwards lies the old Roar, a waterfall in a wood; on the west hill are St. Clement’s caves, supposed to have been formerly used by smugglers to hide contraband goods; they contain curious figures of this Saint, of Harold II. and Napoleon I. and were visited in 1864 by the Prince and Princess of Wales; dancing parties are frequently given here.
The Central Cricket and Recreation Ground in Queen’s road contains 6 acres, and includes a cricket pavilion, built at a cost of about £1,000; it is held by trustees for the use of the town.
Alexandra park, very pleasantly situated in a winding valley extending from St. Helen’s road to Silver hill, contains an area of about 75 acres, prettily laid out and planted with trees, shrubs and flowers, at a cost of about £35,000; the park is also ornamented with miniature lakes, containing many water-fowl, and was formally opened by T. R. H. the Prince and Princess of Wales, on Monday, June 26, 1882, when the Princess planted a tree, and bestowed her name upon the park. Near here is the St. Andrew's Chalybeate Spa, with a spring possessing exceptional medicinal virtues.
Baldslow, 3 miles north, is a hamlet in the parish of St. Mary-in-the-Castle; here is an iron church, with 80 sittings.
The population in 1891 was: —
|Parishes||Population||Area of extended boro'||Rateable value in 1898|
|Holy Trinity or Priory. —||5,172||202||62,112|
|St. Mary, Bulverhithe||191||+253||1,102|
|St. Mary Magdalen||14,415||361||120,764|
|St. Michael on Rock||334||3||4,168|
+ Including 32 acres of foreshore.
++ Including 114 acres of foreshore.
The population of the ecclesiastical parishes in 1891 was:-All Saints, 3,999; All Souls,, 2,038; Christ Church,, 3,159; Emmanuel, 5,177; St. Clement, 3,164; St. Mary-in-the-Castle, 6,130.
Board day, Thursday, 2.30 p.m. at the Workhouse.
Hastings Union comprises the following parishes, viz.:-All Saints, Fairlight, Guestling, Holy Trinity (or Priory), Ore, Pett, St. Andrew, St. Clement, St. Helens, St. Leonard, St. Mary Bulverhithe, St. Mary-in-the-Castle, St. Mary Magdalen, St. Matthew & St. Michael-on-the-Rock. The population of the union in 1891 was 63,466; area, 13,894 acres; rateable value in 1898, £446,725.
Workhouse, Ore, will contain about 315 inmates, exclusive of vagrant wards.
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of service.
All Saints’ Church, All Saints’ street, Rev. George Alfred Foyster M.A. rector; Rev. George Frederick Carr LL. D, curate; 11 a.m. & 3 & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. & holy days 11.30 a.m.
All Souls,, Rev. Edward Francis Penrice Durnford M.A. vicar; 7, 8, 9.30 & 11 a.m. & 3 & 7 p.m.; daily, 7.30 & 8 a.m. & 7 p.m.
Baldslow (Iron Church); 8.30 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Christ Church,, Rev. Alfred Hodges M.A. vicar; Rev. Henry Hugh Breton, curate; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.; Wed. Fri. & saints days, 10.30 a.m.
Christ Church, Ore, Rev. Charles Ough Theo. Assoc. K. C. L, vicar; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; holy communion, 1st. Sun. a.m.; serv. & 3rd at even; 8 a.m. on all chief festivals; childs’ service, 2nd Sun. 3 p.m.
Emmanuel Church, West hill, Rev. Sholto John Henry Newman B.A. vicar; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; thurs 7 p.m.
Holy Trinity, Robertson street, Rev. Canon Robert Edward Sanderson D. D. vicar; Rev. T. W. Tidmarsh M.A. & Rev. Francis Thompson B.A. curates; 8 & 11 a.m. & 2.30, 3.30 & 6.30 p.m.; daily at 11 a.m. & 5 p.m.
St. Andrew’s, Queen’s road, Rev. Arthur Vandeleur Wm. Carden M.A. vicar; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.
St. Clement’s, High street, Rev. Henry Brereton Foyster M.A. rector; 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 5 p.m.; Fri. 11.30 a.m. & 5 p.m.; saints days 8 & 11.30 a.m. & 5 p.m.
St. Clement’s Church, Halton, Rev. Albert Moore O’Connor Macdona M.A. vicar; 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 6.30 p.m.
St. John the Evangelist,, Rev. Charles, George Ledger M. A, vicar; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. holy communion, 1st Sun. a morning service & 3rd Sun. at evening service; 8 a.m. on chief festivals; children’s service, 2nd Sun. at 3 p.m.
St. Mary-in-the-Castle Church, Rev. Frederick Whitfield B.A. vicar; Rev. Harlow Phibbs M.A. curate; 11 a m. 6 3.15 & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 11 a.m. summer months excepted.
Fishermen’s Church, East Well, Rev. Herbert John Sanders, chaplain; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.
St. Helen, Ore, Rev. William Charleston Bullock M.A. rector; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
St. Mary, Star of the Sea, Catholic, High street, Revs. A. Mouselle & D. Crtscitelli, priests; mass, 8, 10 & 11 a.m.; vespers, sermon & benediction, 6.30 p.m.; daily masses, 7.30 & 8 a.m.; Tues. devotions, 4 p.m.; Thur. & Fri. rosary & benediction, 7.30 p.m.
Friends' fleeting House, South terrace, 11 a.m. & 6 30 p.m.; Thur. 11 a.m.
Baptist, Wellington, square, Rev. W. B. Peacock; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.
Baptist, Priory road, Halton; 6.30 p.m.
Particular Baptist (Ebenezer), Ebenezer road, Thomas Hull; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Mon. & Wed. 7 p.m.
Tabernacle (Calvanist), Cambridge Road, Mr. J. W. Tobitt; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.
Congregational, Croft, Rev. Charles New; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 8 p.m.
Congregational,, Rev. Llewellyn Porter, 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7 p.m.
Congregational, Mount Pleasant road, Rev. Arthur Hall; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 8 p.m.
Congregational Missional Hall, Redlake, Ore.
Primitive Methodist, Beach terrace, Revs. William Smith F. R. A. S. & B. Portnall; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Unitarian, South terrace, ministers various; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapels in the Hastings Circuit.
Revs. Joseph Nettleton, William Henry Gibbs, Arthur W. Bunnett M.A. ministers; Rev. John McKenny & Rev. George Gregor, supernumeraries.
Central Chapel, Cambridge road, 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Mon. & thurs, 7.30 p.m.
Bourne street, 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Tues. 7.30 p.m.
West hill, 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Battle, 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7 p.m., 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.
Mount Pleasant, 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Ore, 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.
Catsfield, 2.30 & 6 p.m.; Tues. 6.30 p.m.
Crowhurst, 3.30 p.m.; Mon. 7 p.m.
Guestling, 6.30 p.m.; Tues. 7 p.m.
Mountfield, 2.30 p.m. & 6.30; Wed. 7 p.m.
The Brethren, New hall, Priory street, ministers various; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
The Brethren, Gospel hall, Manor road, West hill, ministers various; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Hastings Grammar, founded by the Charity Comissioners in 1878 by amalgamating Parker’s charity, Saunder’s charity & part of the educational portion of the Magdalen charity; the present building, situated on the West hill, in about 2 acres of ground, was opened in July, 1883, & consists of a large & handsome schoolroom, together with several smaller class rooms; a gymnasium was added in 1896; the course of instruction contemplated by the scheme is that of a first-class second grade school; the number of boys at present is about 100; the governing body consists of one ex-officio governor, the mayor, five representatives and seven cooptative governors; W. H. La Touche M.A. headmaster.
Hastings School of Science & Art, Michael Sullivan, Assoc, of Royal College of Art, headmaster.
A School Board of 9 members was formed 17 Feb. 1871 for Hastings &. St. Leonards, & increased to 11 members in 1898 by the addition of Ore &, & is now known as Hastings United District School Board; Joseph Henbrey Tendall, 4 Bank buildings, clerk to the board; Edward Carter, assistant clerk; James Lawrence, 3 Havelock road; Isaac Kendall, Halton; Geo. Rummery, St. Thomas road, West hill.
(Gilha road), boys’ & girls’, erected in 1892, for 260 boys & 260 girls; average attendance, 227 boys & 156 girls. (infants), erected in 1886, for 220 children; average attendance, 180.
Manor Road, erected in 1882 (& since enlarged), for 329 boys & 329 girls; average attendance, boys, 320, girls 310.
Manor Road (infants), erected in 1881 (& since enlarged), for 346 children; average attendance, 380.
Priory Road (boys), erected in 1891, for 300 boys; average attendance, 230.
Waterloo Place, erected in 1873, for 199 girls & 241 infants; average attendance, girls 180, infants 175.
Hastings Ragged (girls). Tackleway, erected in 1863, for 80 children; average attendance, 60.
Board, St. John (boys), opened in 1880, for 150 children; average attendance, 130.
Board, St. John (girls & infants), opened in 1872, for 105 girls & 120 infants; average attendance, 120 girls, 100 infants.
Holy Trinity (Church), Braybrooke terrace (mixed & infants), erected in 1874, for 48 boys, 62 girls & 104 infants; average attendance, boys & girls 95, infants 63.
St. Andrew’s (National), Stonefield road, erected in 1872, for 112 boys, 112 girls & 140 infants; average attendance, boys 109, girls 109, infants 110.
St. Clement’s & All Saints; boys’, All Saints street, built in 1835, for 311 children; average attendance, 190; girls’, built in 1850, for 302 children; average attendance, 130; infants’, for 100 children; average attendance, 84; infants’, Cavendish place, for 180 children; average attendance, 130.
Beaulieu, Baldslow (infants), built in 1863, for 80 children; average attendance, 20; supported by Col. Hankey.
St. Clement’s, Halton, erected in 1877, for 150 boys, 150 girls & 193 infants; average attendance, 104 boys, 116 girls & 100 infants.
St. Mary’s, Portland place: boys’, erected in 1837 & rebuilt in 1897, for 245 children; average attendance, 212; girls’, for 245 children; average attendance, 200; infants’ (Vores’ memorial), built in 1877, for 227 children; average attendance, 180.
Mount Pleasant, carpentry, wood carving, clay modelling, cookery & laundry; Bourne walk, carpentry & wood carving; Public Hall, cookery; Teachers’, carpentry & wood carving, Messrs. Allan S. Randle, B. Randle, R. J. Selden & W. Richardson.
Board, built 1851 & rebuilt in 1886, for 250 boys, 170 girls & 200 infants; average attendance, 182 boys, 151 girls & 160 infants.
Board (mixed), St. Helen's, opened in 1867, for 100 children; average attendance, 98.
Sandown (mixed), built in 1888, for 160 children; average attendance, 116.
Sandown (infants), built in 1879, for 150 children; average attendance, 110.
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of service.
St. Leonards, Marina, Rev. John A. Jamieson M.A. rector; Rev. Charles M. Gale, curate; 11 a.m. & 3 & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 11 a.m. & 7.30 p.m.; Fri. 11 a.m.
Christ Church, London road, Rev. William Henry Cleaver M.A. rector; Rev. A. W. J. McNeile B.A. Rev. Francis James Smyth & Rev. Herbert Branston-Gray D. D. curates; 6.30, 7.45, 10 & 11.15 a.m. & 3.15, 4 & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 7.45 & 10.30 a.m. & 5 p.m.
St. John the Evangelist, Upper Maze hill, Rev. Prebendary Henry David Jones M.A. rector; Rev. Robert Jocelyn Pickard-Cambridge & Rev. Edward Joshua Sing M.A. curates; 7, 8, 9.45 & 11 a.m. & 3, 4.15 & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 & 8.30 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.; Wed. 12.30 & 7. 20 & Fri. 7.30 p.m.
St. Mary Magdalen, Warrior square, Rev. Edwd. Clowes M.A. rector; Rev. A. Dixwell Alderson, curate; 8 & 11 a.m. & 3 & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 11 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.; Wed. 8 p.m.
St. Matthew’s, Silver hill, Rev. Henry Foster Pegg M.A. rector; Rev. Charles William Cooper & Rev. Maurice Berkley B.A. curates; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
St. Paul’s, Church road, Rev. Forbes Edward Winslow M.A. rector; Rev. A. H. Squire B.A. Curate; 8 & 11. a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
St. Peter’s, Bohemia, Rev. Frederick George Hughes M.A. vicar; 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
St. Saviour’s Mission Church, St. Saviour’s road, West St. Leonards, Rev. C. H. Gale, curate in sole charge & vicar designate; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 8 p.m.
Catholic, St. Thomas of Canterbury, Rev. Thos. Ottley. priest; Rev. George William Grady & Rev. Launcelot.
Scott; 8.15 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m.; Thur.3.30 p.m. & Fri. 7.30 p.m.
Presbyterian Church of England, Warrior square, Rev. Robert Cowan; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Presbyterian, Silver hill, Rev. William Windeat Goldsworthy; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist, Chapel Park road, Rev. Hugh Rodger; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.
Congregational, London road, Rev. Thomas Towers A. T. S.; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Mon. 8 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.
Congregational, Sedlescomb road, Rev. George Freeman; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Gensing road, Revs. J. Biggs & W. Glover; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.45 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Newgate road, Revs. J. Biggs & T. Collins; 3 & 6.30 p.m.; Tues. 7.30 p.m.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapels in the St. Leonards Circuit.
Ministers: Rev. George S. Weston, Rev. Henry J. Parker & Rev. Benjamin Crosby; Rev. Samuel S. Taylor, supernumerary.
Norman road, 11 a.m. 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7 Park road, 11 a.m. 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30.
Sackville Road, 11 a.m. 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.
Belle hill, 11 a.m. 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.
Ninfield, 2 p.m. 6 p.m.; Tues. 7.
Little Common, 2.30 p.m. 6 p.m.; Tues. 7.
Dallington, 2 p.m. 6 p.m.; Tues. 6.30.
Salvation Army Barracks, Silver hill.
Board, Tower road, opened in 1896, for 298 boys, 180 girls & 128 infants; average attendance, 206 boys, 150 girls & 152 infants.
Board, Silver hill, opened 1879, for 200 boys, no girls & 150 infants; average attendance, 193 boys, 87 girls & 100 infants.
Board, West St. Leonards (mixed), built in 1897, for 400; average attendance, 207.
Christ Church, Alfred street (new boys’ school & enlarged girls’ school), opened in 1896, for 190 boys, 176 girls & 200 infants; average attendance, 135 boys, 100 girls & 110 infants.
St. Leonards, Mercatoria, opened in 1847, for 189 boys, 219 girls & 182 infants; average attendance, 155 boys, 148 girls & 110 infants.
St. Mary Magdalen, built in 1855, for 140 boys & 160 girls; average attendance, 115 boys & 127 girls.
St. Paul’s, Bohemia, opened in 1871, for 220 boys, 150 girls & 180 infants; average attendance, 114 boys, 102 girls & 95 infants.
St. Matthew’s (girls & infants), Silver hill, opened in 1878, for 190 children; average attendance, 160 girls & 120 infants.
Catholic, Magdalen road, Sisters, mistresses.
The population of the parliamentary borough in 1891 was 60,878.