Lifeboat House

From Historical Hastings

The following coordinate was not recognised: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Required parameter 'location' is missing</span></div><br/><br/>.The following coordinate was not recognised: div><span class="errorbox">Fatal error: Required parameter 'location' is missing</span></div><br/><br/>. [[Category:{{{Expansion depth limit exceeded}}}]]

Lifeboat House
General information
AddressMarine Parade
Postal Code{{{Expansion depth limit exceeded}}}
Admin. Information
Electoral/Planning Ward{{{Expansion depth limit exceeded}}}
Prop. Ref. No.Expansion depth limit exceeded}}} {{{Expansion depth limit exceeded}}}

The late 19th C. lifeboat house stood near where the Marine Parade Boating Lake now stands. Prior to this it was located on Rock-a-Nore Road. Opening with a grand parade (which also coincided with the launching of the lifeboat 'The Charles Arkcoll') from the Queens Hotel, through the Old Town, back along the seafront to Warrior Square then returning to the lifeboat house on the 2nd of July 1882. The lifeboat was pulled throughout the entire route of the parade, missing out High Street and All Saints Street [1]. This building which featured a 'steeple' was demolished circa 1959 when the main road was widened[2], although planning for the 'new' lifeboat house and construction of the same occurred some years earlier[3]

Images


References & Notes

  1. British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 8 July 1882 Pg. 0005
  2. Hastings and St. Leonards Observer: Early views of Hastings harbour captured in time - Hastings and St. Leonards Observer, accessdate: 2 December 2019
  3. Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/FA/48/00108