Ambox warning blue construction.svg

Fishmarket

From Historical Hastings

In part due to the encroachment of hotel and boarding establishment premises forcing the fishing fleet and associated fishmarket (which for many years had been held in the open) further and further east, in 1859 it was decided to build a permanent market. The site originally planned to contain the market - that of the Lifeboat House opposite the Cutter Inn was rejected in favour of one opposite the Queens Head hotel at the foot of the High Street. The construction was octagonal in shape with iron columns supporting the structure. There were a total of seven stalls, each having a street frontage of 10 1/2 feet; the eighth side permitting access to the interior of the stalls[1]

Subsequently the Fishmarket moved location on a number of occasions, the most recent being in 1989[2]


Images

References & Notes

  1. Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 7 Chap. 62 Pg. 108
  2. Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref: HS/OA/89/00676