Now one of the main thoroughfares from St Leonards seafront to the junction at Silverhill. The roads were linked up finally in around 1838, with the road being dedicated in 1849. This road was renumbered during 1902. Prior to around 1860 when large-scale development further north and the work on the sea-wall resulted in the beach becoming inaccessible to wheeled transport, there were two large capstans at the sea-ward end of the road to facilitate hauling colliers up on the beach to discharge their loads of coal for St Leonards
Numbers 181 and 183 (the location of the footpath Glen Passage which leads down some steps to Southwater Road) have never existed; the east side of London Road in this area being steeply banked into the valley and difficult to build on in any case.
Features in London Road
References & Notes
- ↑ Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 3 Chap. 41
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 05 April 1902 pg. 6
- ↑ St Leonards in the 1860s