|Address||138-142 London Road|
|Postal Code||TN37 6NA|
|Prop. Ref. No.||100062577256|
This terrace on London Road between the junctions of Tower Road West and Springfield Valley was constructed in 1889. Known businesses that operated here in 1893 were Herbert Hazell, Nurseryman; E. Gray, an upholsterer; Chambers & co, Estate Agents; James Lake, Horticulturist; H. Gutteridge, Piano and music warehouse.
In the 1960s and 1970s, there was reportedly a newsagent in the building, although evidence of this is non-existent in the planning records. A furniture store: Grays Furnishers installed a new shop-front in 1963 and changed the name of the buildings to 'London House'
By 1983 a planning application by K. F. Parker appears for usage as a car showrooms, this one being granted whereas an earlier application in 1973 by A.D. Gibb for the same usage was refused on the grounds of inadequate vehicular access to the ground floor of the building - an issue which is very apparent looking at the site today. The upper floors of the buildings were converted into flats in the early 1970s.
The buildings exist to this day, being occupied by HKS Furnishers (Hastings Kitchen Studio), who were established here in 1983 at numbers 138-140 (the building bearing a shield containing the construction date) and a Laundrette at number 142, which has been there since 1968.
References & Notes
- ↑ Pike's Directory 1893
- ↑ Historical Hastings Facebook Group
- ↑ Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/63/00234
- ↑ Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/FA/83/00181
- ↑ Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/73/00769
- ↑ Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/73/00010 & Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/72/01391
- ↑ Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/AA/68/00327