The Clarence (Silverhill)
The Clarence was opened as a public house in 1871, currently branded The Clarence @ Silverhill and previously known as The Clarence Hotel also for a brief period The Clarence and Tap, it had initially started in 1869 as a wine and spirit retailer. It's license was revoked for a short time in 1889, due to the drunk and disorderly conduct of five customers and quite possibly other incidents occurring around this time period probably didn't help. It was at the centre of the ' Riots' in 1913 where approximately 100 people had to be dispersed by police. In more recent years it has had a better reputation, particularly in the 1980s when it was home to a very successful quiz team. In 2008 it was bought from Shepherd Neame by a private owner.
- 1869: Mr. Barnett
Lodge of Odd Fellows
On the 17th of November, 1869, the third local Lodge of Odd Fellows branch opened at The Clarence (described at the time as being located in Tivoli). Taking its name from the pub, it was known as the Royal Clarence Lodge and the event was celebrated by means of a meal. The chair was occupied by N. G. May, who was supported right and left by Dr. Walker (medical attendant of the Lodge), Mr. Livermore, Br. Smith (secretary of the Benefit Society), Br. Thorpe, &c. The vice-chair was filled N. G. Baker. The toasts usual at all gatherings of Englishmen having been given, Br. Brown gave Prosperity to the Perseverance Lodge of Odd Fellows," which was responded to by N. G. Lamb. Br. Mawle gave "The Regency Lodge of Odd Fellows." N. G. Baker made a very pertinent response to the toast. He argued that the association of Odd Fellowship was an association which it became every man to join.