|Named After||Patrick Robertson|
|Construction start||25 Jan 1850|
|Places of Worship||Holy Trinity Church|
Robertson Street Congregational Church
Built on the site of the America Ground, construction started soon after initial plans were drawn up by the architects Reeks Humbert, with an advertisement for groundworks (drains etc) appearing in the local paper on the 25th January 1850. Some six weeks after this, an advertisement appeared for what possibly was the first trader to move into the new street; that of R. Funnell with a Provision Warehouse at 6 Robertson Street supplying tea and coffee, with the gilder and framer Thomas Mann (1816-1903) moving in not long after. By 1852, the street was populated with 16 traders appearing in a local directory
Perception of new street
Initially traders moving to the street were wary of how their business would fare in the new location, being on a road that ,for a time, did not lead to any destinations (most of the town was still either central in the Priory Valley or further east). As a result, many established traders still maintained their existing premises. These fears however proved to be unfounded with a local guide towards the end of the 19th century describing the road thus; "Robertson Street is the `Regent Street’ of Hastings; the place where ladies most do congregate when on shopping thoughts intent; and, indeed, there is some excuse, for the shops are of the best, and the wares so tastefully displayed that 'tis no wonder ladies are tempted when time hangs heavy and purses are well filled. During several hours of the day the roadway is filled with carriages, and the side walks thronged with pedestrians"
Completion of Shops
Unusually perhaps, a number of properties in the road were of a double-aspect, also opening onto Cambridge Road - these being numbers 47-51, corresponding to the odd-numbers 7-11 on Cambridge Road.
Features on this wiki