Elphinstone Road

From Historical Hastings
(Redirected from Ore Lane)
Elphinstone Road
Other Names
Former name(s)Ore Lane
Named AfterSir Howard Elphinstone (1773-1846)
Junctions
JunctionsBaldslow Road,Mount Pleasant Road,Hughenden Road,Laton Road,Beaconsfield Road

Etymology

Elphinstone Road was originally named Ore Lane and the name recalls Sir Howard Elphinstone (1773-1846) who owned Ore Place and Ridge Farm.

Numbers 50 to 60, known as Franklin Terrace, possibly extending down to the Langham Hotel certainly existed circa 1880[1].

Numbers 69, 70 and 71, although possibly part of the original numbering plan for the ​road​, do not exist and comprise the entrance to Beaconsfield Road.

Prior to 1869, the ​road​ was not much more than a track above what is now the junction with Mount Pleasant Road when proposals were made to improve the route. This resulted in a number of court cases arising due to land-owners, in particular Charles Hay Frewen whose land abutted the most dangerous area of the lane - that abutting the Ponbay Bridge - the case reaching the House of Lords after a series of appeals by him[2], who held the adjoining lands refusing to sell portions of their land.[3].

Images


Features in Elphinstone Road

Name Street No From To





References & Notes

  1. Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 3 Chap 27
  2. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 12 March 1867 pg. 3
  3. Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 26 March 1869