R. G. Roberts suggests that the Ore (Ofēr in Old English) portion of the name implies bank (as in river/stream) or shore, although there is a slight chance it could come from the iron-rich deposits in the area. It is probable that Ore as we currently know it was actually originally further west than its current position. The evidence pointing to this includes Ore Place, the Ore Church and the fact that Elphinstone Road was originally known as Ore Lane. In this case the name is more likely derived from Anglo Saxon Oare or Orea; the flat shoulder of land at the end of a long ridge.
The modern-day location of Ore Village has only been the nucleus of the settlement for the last 200 years. Prior to this, the settlement was extremely rural and sparsely populated. It was heavily wooded (Coghurst wood being a remnant of this) and mostly farmland. Where present-day Ore Village is located was originally known as Fairlight Down, an open area of scrubland surmounted by a windmill and crisscrossed by tracks. By the 1700s buildings started appearing in present-day Winchelsea Road, Middle Road and Fairlight Road. There were several windmills in the vicinity including Fairlight Mill built in the 1700s, rebuilt in 1819 and burned down in 1869 (it stood where present-day North's Seat is); White Mill (also known as Cheale's Mill) built in 1813 and burned down in 1900; and Black Mill (Down Mill) built in 1855 and demolished in 1918. Until 1859 the only place of worship in the district was the 12th century St Helens Church (decommissioned and rebuilt nearby in 1869) one mile away along the Old London Road - now called The Ridge - but in 1859 Christchurch Ore was built. For a brief time in the early 20th century Ore Village even had its own Cinema - The Cynthia - which was later closed, the site being bought by the Salvation Army.
Pages in category ‘Ore’
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total.