Old London Road
|Former name(s)||Hastings Hill, London Road|
Was originally known as Hastings Hill, or London Road, this being the main means of road transport in and out of the town. Renamed to Old London Road to distinguish it from the London Road in St Leonards. The road was renumbered in 1934, with number 2 - a general store in 1911 - originally being at the foot of Robertsons Hill. The elm trees at the foot of the hill were originally planted by John Collier (1685-1760). Part of Old London Road in Ore was at one time known as 'the High Street', being the main thoroughfare through the village. The road originally extended around The Ridge to Baldslow, being split in 1934 and renumbered as a result, hence some older images showing what we now know as The Ridge being captioned Old London Road.
This road was renumbered during 1934.
Features on this wiki
|Alexandra Terrace (Hastings)||1870||1873|
|Sacred Heart Convent|
References & Notes
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 12 May 1934 pg. 16
- Ian Shiner