Accession of Edward VII
When King Edward VII made his accession to the throne on the 22nd of January 1901, the event was commemorated with a procession through the town. The Mayor started proceedings by making the proclamation to the council chamber in the Town Hall at 10 am which was followed by an announcement from the balcony facing Queen's Road.
Local dignitaries then took 22 carriages to lead a procession into the Old Town through streets lined with members of the public waving flags and banners. Pausing at the Fishmarket, the proclamation was read again, this time with a prelude of bugle fanfares. The procession then re-formed and headed up the High Street, where the bells of St. Clements Church were rung with those of All Saints Church joining in as the procession reached the top of the High Street.
Ore & Silverhill
The procession then headed up Old London Road to where the proclamation was read outside the Village Schools to cheers of 'God Save the King'. This was then repeated at where the proclamation was given from the junction in the main roads. The black-clad crowd waited silently for the proclamation at ten past 12 at which time, mounted police galloped down Sedlescombe Road North closely followed by the carriages of the procession. There was another fanfare from the bugles and again, the proclamation was read. As the band played the National Anthem, the procession re-formed and headed down Sedlescombe Road South towards .
West St. Leonards
Warrior Square and Memorial
At Warrior Square the crowd was described as being animated and again, the proclamation made, finally the procession headed back into town for the final announcement at the Albert Memorial. The crowds assembled here had been waiting since the first proclamation at 10 am to hear the final announcement at 1:30pm. Finally, the dignitaries met in the Mayor's Parlour to drink the King's health.
As a lasting memorial, Mr. H. C. Richards in the same year gave the Market Cross to the town which still stands at the head of the
References & Notes
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 02 February 1901 pg. 5