Marina was originally designed by Burton to be a mirrored terrace of collonaded houses either side of the Royal Victoria Hotel. Construction started circa 1828 with the Hotel being started first, then the two terraces, of nine houses each, being completed by the end of the following year The houses further from the hotel were completed over the next two years or so as follows;
1829/30 - Numbers 15-33 (of which five houses between nos 27 and 33 fell down soon after construction and required re-building)
1832 - Numbers 65 to 71. This terrace was almost completely destroyed by a Flying Bomb in WW2. Numbers 71 to 68 were the only survivors left standing in some form - the bay of 71 had collapsed into the street, being rebuilt in 1948 and number 68 had two floors remaining standing with a temporary roof.
During 1831, numbers 24, 25, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33, together with the Conqueror Hotel were put up for sale at auction as investment properties
A colonnade of shops with limited accommodation above was constructed on the seaward side of the parade; South Colonnade.
Further development to the west took place as follows:-
1849 - Numbers 72 to 78
1853 - Numbers 79 to 82 & 128, 129
1855 - Numbers 130 to 133
1857 - Numbers 89 to 91
Numbers 133 to 138 had certainly been completed by 1863, Brett making reference to a Mr. How of number 138 in that year being granted permission to construct vaults under the footway.
A portion of the terrace to the east of the Hotel was subsequently demolished during the 1930s for the construction of Marine Court.
A cliff fall in the vicinity of Marina revealed some Bronze Age palstaves
The steps behind Marine Court leading up to East Ascent used to be in a circular form and were replaced with regular steps similar to those today circa 1844. There is reference to a number of accidents in Brett regarding individuals and animals falling down either these steps or the adjacent cliff faces
St Leonards c1830
West Villa and Marina 1831
66 67 and 68 Marina
St Leonards from the Sea c1840
Royal Victoria Hotel, Marina c1840
East Ascent Area Map
West Marina Map 1873
Marina-beach-St-Leonards-on-Sea-1880.-Buildings behind now Marine Court