No values specified.
|Postal Code||TN38 0BL|
|Electoral/Planning Ward||CENTRAL ST LEONARDS Pre May 2018|
|Prop. Ref. No.||100062579346|
Prussia House - 93 Marina.
In April, 1870, the five young children of the Crown Prince and Princess of Germany booked the house for six week but ultimately stayed for two months. The family attended St Leonards Church during their visit and every night there were performances by the Town Band outside the house. Following their departure, the Empress Frederich wrote to the owner to express their thanks and a wish that they house be known as either 'Imperial' or 'Prussia House'. The owner, Miss. Reeves chose the latter and the name remained until she left around 1910. During WW1 attempts were made to change the lettering from 'Prussia' to 'Russia' due to patriotic sentiment.
The property was converted into flats and bedsits around 1991, when a rear extension was added to the property
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 1 November 1947 pg. 5
- Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref: HS/FA/91/00665