Henry Ward (1854-1927)
Henry Ward ARIBA (1854-1927) was articled to Wallen and Paxon before training in the atelier of M Genin in Paris. He was a prolific and versatile locally based architect with offices at 8 Bank Buildings, (64 Station Road), Hastings. He was in practice in Hastings by 1881, where he moved for his health, when he won the competition for Hastings Town Hall (listed Grade II) and went on to build the Town Hall in Bexhill. His Observer Building, also in Cambridge Road, Hastings was designed in 1914, but, interrupted by the First World War, was built in 1924. As well as the Robertson Street Congregational Church in Hastings, he designed village chapels associated with it, and Congregational churches in Bexhill and Eastbourne (1903), the latter recently listed Grade II.
He designed most of the shops in the south-east for the department store Messrs Plummer Roddis Ltd including the premises in Robertson Street, Hastings which was completed shortly before he died. His funeral procession was diverted to pass by the construction work on the Robertson Street premises and as it passed, the hundred or so workmen paused their work and lined the pavement. The funeral directors employed to conduct his funeral at Hastings Cemetery were staff from Plummer Roddis.
He would appear to have set up a company involving his son, trading as Henry Ward & Son which drew up plans for the Pebsham Motor Racing Circuit among other projects.
- Hastings Town Hall 1881.
- Robertson Street Congregational Church constructed in 1884-5.
- Observer Building designed in 1914, constructed in 1924.
- Plummer Roddis Building 1927.
- Red Lake United Reformed Church, 1903
- Bexhill Town Hall
References & Notes
- ↑ a b Hastings & St Leonards Observer 17 September 1927 pg. 10
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 13 March 1954 pg. 1