East Cliff House
|East Cliff House|
|Alternative names||Scotts House, East Cliff Guest House, Capels, Capells House|
|Address||1 Rock-a-Nore Road|
|Postal Code||TN34 3DW|
|Notable Occupiers||Edward Capel (1713-1781), Harry Furniss|
|Electoral/Planning Ward||OLD HASTINGS Pre May 2018|
|Prop. Ref. No.||10070604935|
|H.E. Ref. No.||1353154|
Built in 1761 for Edward Capel at the foot of All Saints Street who in later years was a recluse. Following Capel's death in 1781, the property was sold to Edward Milward (1722-1811), who held the property until some time after 1807. By 1818, Brett has the property as being owned or tenanted by John Scott, leading to the house being known as "Scotts House".
It had a number of spells as a lodging house (East Cliff Guest House), then the residence of Rev. John Hammond Fiske in 1854. before another priest, the Rev. William Margesson had occupancy for a number of years The premises were a furniture shop in the ownership of a Mr. E. Smith in 1866. Later , just before WW1 Harry Furniss (the Punch cartoonist) lived here. In 1956, it is again listed as a boarding house. The first 'Moving pictures' were shown here.
The ground floor has had a multitude of uses, from a furniture shop through amusement arcade and chandlers to a restaurant, with the first floor being a nightclub (Capels) for a number of years in the 1980s.
Shakespeare Mulberry Tree
This was planted by Garrick, having been taken as a cutting from the tree in Stratford-on-Avon, during a visit to Mr Capel. Most (if not all) mulberry trees in Hastings are cuttings from this one source. Grade II Listed (Historic England listing 1353154)