National School (St. Leonards)
|National School (St. Leonards)
|CENTRAL ST LEONARDS Pre May 2018
|Prop. Ref. No.
The National School at St Leonards at Mercatoria opened in 1834 in a long building specially constructed for the purpose. The building was entered by means of a small porch or lobby at the side overlooking houses on Undercliff. From this entrance, a door on the right hand led into the Boys’ school and another at the left, gave entry to the Girls’. Initially, the school had seventy pupils. Prior to the construction of the school buildings, education in St Leonards was provided firstly at 36 Marina, and secondly in the crypt of the St. Leonards Assembly Rooms During 1842, T. B. Brett was asked to step in as schoolmaster, alongside running his own school nearby. The building became the St. Leonards Church of England School around seven years later.
References & Notes
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 1, Chap. 9