Charles Lockey (1820-1901)
Charles Lockey was the proprietor of the town's Music Hall in Robertson Street from around 1858 after he had moved to Hastings with his family from Somerset in that year - perhaps to recover from the throat disorder mentioned below. From Census records, he was resident in an apartment at 6 Caroline Place in 1861, moving to Lyndhurst, 1 Elphinstone Road where he died. Charles was well known as a tenor singer, perhaps his best known performance being Mendelssohn's Oratorio 'Elijah'. Soon after his move to Hastings, he gave up performances and much of his public life due to a throat disorder.
|Children of: Charles Lockey and Martha Mae Williams (1821-1897)|
|Charles Oliver Lockey (1854-1881)
|John Beeston Lockey (1858-1941)||26 April 1858||18 March 1941|
|Richard Meredith Lockey (1861-)
|Martha Lockey (1862-)
References & Notes
- Osborne's Stranger's Guide to Hastings and St Leonards c1854 Pg. 48 Google Books On this wiki
- Charles Lockey "UK Census", , 1861; St. Mary in the Castle; page 44, line 220.
- UK Census 1861
- "UK Census", , 1901; St. Mary in the Castle; , enumeration district 22 page 9, line 1.
- Corder, Frederick (1912). . In Lee, Sidney (ed.). Dictionary of National Biography (2nd supplement). 2. London: Smith, Elder & Co. p. 473.