Central Methodist Church

From Historical Hastings

The Central Methodist Church (formerly Wesleyan Methodist Church) was a church on Cambridge Road, Hastings.

Designed by W.W. Pocock[1], this large Wesleyan Methodist church was built in 1875. It stood on the sloped corner site above the town centre, west of the junction with Cornwallis Gardens.

Construction

A stone and ashlar built Early English Gothic Revival building with a tower at the southwest corner, the building cost £8,000.

Demise

Holding its last service in May 1974, the church was deregistered as a place of worship in June 1974[2] and fell into dilapidation after its closure that year and was demolished in June 1980. A block of flats now occupies the site.

Another local historian, however, has the following to say:

"...this property was bought from the Trustees of the Methodist Churches by the local council for the purposes of road improvements in 1978, (but the road scheme never materialised) hence it was resold on again but not until 1985 to a developer, whereby the building had remained empty for the previous 7 years and prone to vandalism."[3]

The site is now occupied by Holmebury House.


Images

References & Notes