This category uses the form AddressInfo.
Until the late 1970s/early 1980s many retail premises closed early on Wednesdays. Although there is mention of discussions relating to this as early as 1854 in connection with securing attendance at the two Mechanics' Institutions that were running in Hastings and St. Leonards at the time , this practice would appear to have started properly in 1863 with the drapers businesses in St. Leonards closing promptly at 5pm in order to permit their staff some recreational time. By 1870, the movement had spread to include grocers, the practice being referred to as the 'Early Closing Movement'.
References & Notes
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 5 Chap. 12 Pg. 98
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 10 Chap. 69 Pg. 82
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 30 April 1870 Pg. 0003
This category has the following 16 subcategories, out of 16 total.
- ► Auction Houses (8 P)
- ► Banking & Finance (1 C, 10 P)
- ► Directories (6 P, 23 F)
- ► Industry (10 C, 36 P)
- ► Laundries (1 C, 5 P)
- ► Removal Firms (1 P)
- ► Shops (31 C, 160 P)
- ► Upholsterers (1 P)
Pages in category ‘Businesses’
The following 10 pages are in this category, out of 10 total.