Stephen Putland (1806-1880)

From Historical Hastings


Born in Beckley, Stephen Putland moved to St Leonards around 1826, first being resident in Lavatoria - a square which he was instrumental in 'opening up' to the rest of Norman Road and St Leonards by enlarging the opening in Burton's boundary wall in 1841. He worked as a councillor, lay-preacher in the Wesleyan ministry, surveyor and coal merchant[1]. By 1851, he was resident at 4 London Road with his wife, Mary and ten children[2]. The 1861 Census shows his address as being 7 London Road

References & Notes

  1. British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 19 March 1881 Pg. 0006
  2. UK Census Return 1851