Norman Road

From Historical Hastings
Norman Road

This road was renumbered .[1] at least twice between 1861 and 1881. Prior to 1871, the road was numbered consecutively. By 1871, this had changed to odds on the north side and evens on the south (possibly coincidentally with the incorporation of Lavatoria). By 1881, Norman Road West and East had been merged - the houses on the former north side of the 'West' portion being numbered starting at 33. As a result, what was Number 1 Norman Road West prior to 1861 remained as number 1 in 1871, number 2 moved to the opposite side of the road. By 1881, this had changed as per the following table:

North Side

pre 1871 1871-1881 post 1881
1 1 33
2 3 35
3 5 37

South Side:

pre 1871 1871-1881 post 1881
?? 2 ??
?? 4 ??
?? 6 ??


Images[edit]


Name Street No From To
Arches (The)
Cobden, Soar & Edwards 57 1954
Dawson, Harden & Tanton 38 1954 1954
Royal Blue House 66
St Leonards Mechanics Institute
Wesleyan Church

References[edit]

  1. Brett's Manuscript Histories Vol. 1 Chapt. 3