The Duke of Wellington
The Duke of Wellington was opened circa 1862 as the Duke Road area was developing. The residents of the surrounding streets were either poorer working class or unemployed and the pub, along with the neighbourhood, was viewed as an undesirable place to visit. By the end of the 19th century, the pub was attached to the Black Lion Brewery from Brighton and was briefly known as the 'The Wellington Inn'. The pub was known as 'The Duke' in the 1950s. Poss. also known as Dorset Arms.