From Historical Hastings
(Redirected from St. Michael's rock)
Cuck " or " Cock " signifies in Saxon, Chief, e.g. Cuckmcre, Cuckfield and 'Hoo' a place or street : hence Cuckoo may have once been the High Street or main road in the Upper Town.
Cuckoo hill, also known as St. Michael's Hill is the high land immediately behind White Rock originally extending far further to the south. The cliff was cut back in 1834, and the top levelled for the construction of Prospect Place and St. Michaels Place.
References & Notes
- ↑ The Antiquities of Hastings and the Battlefield (Thomas Cole 1864) Pg. 30 Google Books - 1864 ESCC Library. A later edition is also available: ESCC Library - 1884
- ↑ St. Michaels Church - Detail of cutting back of land
- ↑ Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 1 Chap. 11