St. Michaels Place

From Historical Hastings
St. Michaels Place
Named AfterSt Michaels Church

The construction of the houses in the road, together with those in Prospect Place necessitated the top of Cuckoo Hill being removed and levelled[1].

The road is largely on the site of the former St Michaels Church and during the construction of an electricity sub station in 1970, bones from 22 to 35 bodies were found in a single grave. The museum believe that they most likely came from the original graveyard of St Michael's Church and had been re-buried after the cutting of the road in 1834[2].

References & Notes