School of Industry
The School of Industry opened in 1849 in Albion Place, instructing girls between the ages of thirteen and sixteen in the skills required to become domestic servants. The school was funded by subscribers, donations and sale of manufactured items. Six girls were the initial roll, but this increased to twelve. All girls were provided with board and clothing and taught reading, writing, arithmetic, plain needlework, and skills necessary for their future as domestic staff. 
Girls boarded at the school for their first four weeks, being allowed home once during that period and expected to attend Halton Parochial Chapel.
The site of the school was just north of the Plough public house, on Priory Road, Priory Road having been renumbered in 1902
Brisco, Musgrave, Esq., M.P.
Burton, Alfred, Esq
Cranston, Miss E. (East Court)
Foyster, Rev. J. G.
Gatty, Mrs. (Crowhurst Place)
Harcourt, Hon. Mrs. Vernon
Pepys, E., Esq.
Robertson, P. F., Esq. (Halton)
Scrivens, G., Esq.
Shadwell, William Lucas, Esq.
Smith, Francis, Esq.
Waldegrave, Right Hon. Countess
Wilson, Mrs. Glocester
References & Notes
- ↑ a b c First Annual Report 1850 Google Books
- ↑ Hastings, past and present (Mary Matilda Howard) pg. 78 Google Books
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 05 April 1902 pg. 6