Rocklands (East Hill)
The caravan site known as Rocklands used to be a school and before that, a private house and smallholding. The land was part of the Countess Waldegrave's holdings. A Superintendant of the Coast-Guard, Commander Peat is recorded as having been resident here for three years
A promontory fort exists under part of the Rocklands site consisting of a rampart about 300 metres long across the East Hill at the highest point running north-west to south-east. Part of the rampart can still be seen on the site as a raised bank some 7 metres high. Activities on the current caravan site are believed to have disturbed some of the associated earthworks.
References & Notes
- Hastings, past and present (Mary Matilda Howard) pg. 105 Google Books
- Reminiscences of Smugglers and Smuggling: John Banks (1873) Pg. 91 Google Books
- East Hill, Hastings, East Sussex - A Landscape Survey and Investigation Survey Report - Michael Fradley and Sarah Newsome (English Heritage) ISSN 1749-8775
- Hastings Survey of Times Past and Present (Anthony Belt F.L.S.) 1937 pg.37 ESCC Library