From Historical Hastings

Mastins were a large department store located in Breeds Place that opened in 1872, becoming the leading family business in town until its closure in 1969. The premises then stood empty until being demolished in 1972.

1904 Fire[edit]

On the 9th of December 1904, Mastins suffered a disastrous fire. Nearly £12,000 of damages was caused. The drapery establishment was partially ruined. There was a narrow escape for girls in the store and two firemen. This was the first time in the history of the Hastings fire brigade that all the men were called out, and may have been the biggest ever faced by the volunteer brigade. The scene was captured by Judges on their postcards. Business was at a standstill for some time afterwards.[1]


References & Notes