London Road Abattoir
Hastings Abattoir was located behind a field between London Road and Southwater Road (roughly where Heron House stands) adjacent to Cramps Wood in St Leonards for a number of years. The premises were operated by Newton Parks, a butcher who also had premises on Norman Road
In 1954, removal from these premises was urged to a more suitable site, the current site having been only intended as a temporary location and there were increasing fears that visitors and residents alike were being offended by its current location., the site being cleared during the 1960s. The land was subsequently sold to Heron Industries who constructed Heron House on the London Road portion of the site.
References & Notes
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 16 October 1954 pg.4