|Address||113 Cinque Ports Way, Bexhill Road, Cinque Ports Way|
|Postal Code||TN38 0AJ|
|Prop. Ref. No.||200003864963|
Havenhurst Mill(s) was a group of buildings that stood on Cinque Ports Way adjacent to the Bexhill Road Railway Bridge.
The site was a steam-driven flour mill during the late 19th century, known as the Havenhurst Roller Mills, previously the Havenhurst Steam Flour Mill, run by John Draper under the name of J. Draper & Co. An associated company known as the Queens Avenue Stores and Machine-made Bread Company was wound up in 1889. The mill at continued production, Draper's name appearing in connection with the construction of an additional warehouse on the site in 1905 (interestingly, even prior to 1905, the site was known to be prone to flooding from the river Asten/Haven running behind the site, the planning application being approved subject to the Corporation being indemnified against any flood related damage). The building complex was also utilised on a number of occasions during the 1890s to house various events. The flour mills were destroyed in a large fire on the 27th of January 1920.
For many years during the 1920s onwards, it was the premises of Gainsfords Ltd, a wholesale grocers which included a bacon factory, and, during the late 1940s, a garage trading under the name of first Webber's Garage, then, later W. J. Hart. A timber warehouse listed as being on the site suffered a fire in 1974. The whole complex later became Stamco Timber with a new building being constructed on the site circa 1983 . This building originally had loading bays under a mezzanine floor housing the offices, these being progressively infilled to provide a retail/trade counter around 1994. Stamco remained on the site until the site's clearance in 2006.
- Cinque Ports Way
- 113;Bexhill Road;1983;2006
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 07 October 1893 pg. 5
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 21 September 1889 pg. 4
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 2 December 1905 pg. 6
- ↑ Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/FA/49/00101
- ↑ Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/OA/59/00144
- ↑ Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/FA/83/00278