Hastings Permanent Building Society
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
On the 22nd of February, 1930, their new premises in Havelock Road were opened by the Mayor, councillor F. M. Russell Davies KC with a silver key following a luncheon held at the Queens Hotel. The new building was clad in white stone and had been completely re-built behind the facade by the local firm Hayhurst and Wright Ltd. with an extension to provide a frontage onto Middle Street. As the Mayor opened the door, the chairman of the Building Society (Mr. W. F. Balding) joked that they were using a silver key as opposed to a gold one due to the Society's aims being that of thrift and they could not afford a gold key. After an announcement that the Mayor had taken the first share to be registered in the new building, the assembled dignitaries sang "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" as the Mayor left the building. It was revealed that out of the 1,035 building societies with assets over half a million pounds, the society was at number 36 in the list and the largest building society on the south coast..
References & Notes
- Mr. A. M. Apel Looks Back from 1936
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 1 March 1930 Pg. 0003
- Building Societies Association Mergers Yearbook 2019-2020 retrieved 21st October 2021.