Fortune of War
From Historical Hastings
Constructed circa 1824 on The Shelves (now Halton) by Thomas Sinnock circa 1824. Brett reports that the inn was reconstructed circa 1834, and, in the course of demolitions, a 'tub hole' was discovered - possibly utilised to store contraband, although this was most likely apocryphal; the premises having been advertised as possessing an ice house capable of storing forty tons of ice in 1829.
The pub was closed circa 1969 and demolished in the following year.
References & Notes
- ↑ Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 2 Chap. 20 Pg. 205
- ↑ British Newspaper Archive Sussex Advertiser 10 August 1829 Pg. 0002
- ↑ 1832-1834 Pigot's Sussex Directory; Publisher: Pigot
- ↑ a b British Newspaper Archive Sussex Advertiser 9 December 1851 Pg. 0005