72 St. Mary's Road
|72 St. Mary's Road|
|Address||72 St Mary's Road|
In 1881, number 72 St Mary's Road was owned by F. R. Bones - the proprietor of the well known timber merchant who had their business premises at Earl Street, Francis being resident in Rye at the time. In 1886, Thomas Cousins was a tenant, renting two rooms at £1 per month. August 1892 shows a 'Mrs. B.' advertising for a tenant.
By 1894, the property was advertised as being up for sale tenanted at a rent of 10s per week; the description revealing four bedrooms, three sitting rooms, a breakfast room and, unusually for the period, two toilets. It would appear that a Mr Frank Heathfield was either the purchaser or the tenant - a probate dating to 1912 revealing him being resident then.
In 1937, there is an obituary for George Phillips aged 67 - ex dispensing pharmacist of the Sussex Drug Stores at 10 Robertson Street, listed as residing at the address. George started the post as an errand-boy and worked his way up to this position. He was advised to take an outdoor position for health reasons and later in life worked for the Borough as a gardener. He was survived by his wife, the couple not appearing to have any children.
The British Newspaper Archive does not appear to have any further mentions of the address post-1937.
A search of planning applications reveals that the windows were replaced in 1970 by presumably the, then resident, Mrs Dunkley - attachment 2 is the permission letter 
References & Notes
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 19 November 1881 Pg. 0004
- UK Census return 1881
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 10 March 1894 Pg. 0004
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 26 October 1912 Pg. 0005
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 13 March 1937 Pg. 0012
- Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/FA/70/00268