St. Leonards Church
This church was originally designed by Decimus Burton and, in fact, the only church he designed. Construction was by Peter Jenkins. Unfortunately, the Gothic Chapel was hit by a V1 flying bomb during 1944 and completely demolished.
Post war rebuilding
With the foundation stone being laid by the Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone on the 7th of October 1953, the rebuilding of the church commenced, a large part of the cost being defrayed with a bequest of £40,000 from the late Mr. William Edwin Halladay, with the tower being built some years later due to lack of funds. The stone used was quarried from the Crowhurst Park Estate in 1947 with twelve German prisoners of war who were housed at The Grove being utilised to assist in the work, they having volunteered their assistance.
The church closed after fears of the cliff safety behind in 2018.
|1837||:||Rev. Sydney Henry Widdrington|
|1839||:||Rev. J. C. Leslie|
|1849-1852||:||Rev. T. P. Sproule|
A bid has been put in by the Hastings Urban Design Group to convert the church, together with the area adjacent in Undercliff that has stood derelict other than some concrete retaining structures into an outpost of the Science Museum in London. The diocese of Chichester is reportedly amenable to the plan.
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 10 October 1953 Pg. 0001
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 24 July 1954 pg. 1
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 4 January 1947 Pg. 0005
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 2 Chapt. 17
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 2 Chap. 21
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 4 Chap. 47
- ‘Science-on-Sea’ – is Hastings brave enough to seize the opportunities its history and location provides? – Hastings In Focus, accessdate: 1 September 2020