St. Leonards Assembly Rooms
|St. Leonards Assembly Rooms|
Originally constructed as assembly rooms for the new town of St Leonards in 1829. In 1835, it is described by Ross as being 60 feet in length, with a billiard hall on the east side with rooms for playing cards on the other. In 1886 there is record of a contractor named Jenkins, who had constructed many houses in St Leonards who bought what was the Assembly Rooms and installed in the basement a small swimming pool with a set of private baths set into the floor. These Victorian baths did not last long and came to an end in 1904.