Old Hastings Preservation Society
The Preservation Society (OHPS) was inaugurated on the 18th of November 1952. The Mayor, Alderman H. W. Rymill presided over the meeting which was held at the Old Town Library in High Street. The rector of All Saints Church, Rev. J. R. Sankey was instrumental in setting up the Society whose aims were to "promote the permanent preservation of buildings of beauty or historic interest, and to foster an appreciation of the history of the town of Hastings and to preserve evidence of that history."
Founded in part to secure a future for the Georgian Stables at the top of High Street, the society aimed to be involved in all decisions relating to the Old Town planning and street scene as advisers, together with watching for any deterioration in the fabric and neighbourhood of the Old Town. In addition to this, they operate frequent tours of the Old Town and assist local museum curators in preserving the heritage and legacy of the area.
The OHPS is active in supporting Carnival week, having set up a programme of events around the Old Town Carnival in 1962. They also acquired a unit in Courthouse Street which is home to History House and their headquarters. The society was also instrumental in the acquisition and conversion of the Fishermans Church into the Fishermans Museum