|Former name(s)||Market Street|
Prior to 1814 was known as Market Street.
19th C changes
Toward the end of the 19th century there was something of a bottle-neck at the sea-end of the High Street caused by the incline known as 'Oak Hill' and the narrowness of the road adjacent to the turning into the Swan Hotel yard that was removed circa 1889. The Corporation arranged with Mr. F. A. Langham and the Hastings Cottage Improvement Society, the owners of the two houses adjoining the Swan Hotel on the south side to purchase those properties. At the south corner of the premises the set-back was increased to 18 inches, becoming greater and greater until the property line joined into the Swan Hotel, where the width of road was to be six feet more than it was originally. Following the demolitions and construction of a retaining wall to face the raised-pavement resulting, two new properties were built on the land with shop fronts and steps were constructed to provide access to Oak Passage
Further changes to this area of the High Street took place in 1926, when the rotunda Fishmarket was demolished and the space converted to be a turning circle for the Trolleybus routes that were introduced in that year. The turning circle ultimately became the car park.
One feature that is often overlooked, but worth pointing out, is that the railings protecting the edge of the raised pavements were actually only installed during WW2, previously only isolated sections had railings.
|59 High Street||59|
|B King Butcher||1960||1960|
|Harry Boyd (1868-1954)||115||1905||1907|
|Harry Boyd (1868-1954)||64||1905||1908|
|Hastings Mechanics’ Institution||39a||1839||1890|
|Hastings Old Bank||90||1791||1842|
|Old Hastings Club||39||1920||1970|
|Old Town Hall||1700||1823|
|Old Town Market Hall||42a|
|Royal Oak Inn||62a||1600||1785|
|Stangers Grocery Store||57||1923||1923|
|Stangers Wine Vaults||57||1956||1975|
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 28 September 1889 Pg. 0007
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 3 Chap. 40