From Historical Hastings
West Ascent is situated behind the Royal Victoria Hotel, between the hotel and St Leonards Gardens. It was built between 1831 and 1833
Originally it was intended to continue the range of houses in West Ascent to the top of the hill, uniformly with the opposite range known as East Ascent, but the design was interfered with by the erection of St Leonards Church on its present site (on the seafront just to the west).
The two 'Ascents' - East and West prior to WW2 had a matching pair of villas at the ends, however the one on West Ascent was destroyed in an air raid and rebuilt in 1953.
References & Notes
- ↑ a b Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 1 Chapt. VII
- ↑ British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 31 October 1953 Pg. 0007