Part of Gensing Farm since 1702, this field of 23 acres 2 rods and 20 perches now underlies Alfred Street. On the 14th of November 1851, Charles Gilbert Eversfield sold a portion of the field of 2 acres 0 rods 21/2perches in the parish of St Mary Magdalen, to William Pain Beecham of Hawkhurst, Kent, gent, and his trustee Stephen Putland of St Leonards, merchant, for £807. It is to be believed that the rest of the field was similarly apportioned around the same period.
References & Notes
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_AMS6226_1