The Welcome Stranger
Opened in 1871 at 5 Morghew Terrace (later renumbered 55 Sedlescombe Road North). The pub was extended into number 59 in 1982 and the former stables and yard to the rear was made into a car park circa 1983, there was also a taxi office located to the rear around the same time.
The Taylor family took over the pub in 1977 and at one point ran the Silverhill Tavern on the opposite side of Sedlescombe Road North, they ran the pub until 2009 when John Taylor passed away. In May 2017 a company called 'Lets2Share' took over the pub and rebranded it 'The Welcome', who refurbished the premises and converted the upstairs function room in accommodation.
The distinctive plaster mouldings on the front of the building were done by an Italian prisoner-of-war.
References & Notes
- Buckle, Alan & Hastings Local History Group (2013). : From waterfall to windmill, p. 82.
- Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/FA/81/00750
- Facebook group: 'Silverhill Remembered'
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer March 2018
- Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/CD/19/00386