The Hermitage

From Historical Hastings

The Hermitage
Alternative namesBushby Home for Male Convalescents, Hermitage Convalescent Home
General information
Address32 Holmesdale Gardens
Loading map...


Originally the University School Annexe. By the time Pikes street directory for 1916 was published, it was known as the “Bushby Home for Male Convalescents", The Hermitage, 32 Holmesdale Gardens.

Use during WW1

During the first war the building was taken over by “No 8 Canadian Stationary Hospital” as an auxiliary hospital for ordinary ranks with a capacity of 120 beds.[1] It was described as “situated near the centre of the city, not far distant from the Hastings Pier. It was a stone building which afforded a good disposal centre for suitable cases from the Main Hospital” (in this case the Workhouse which had also been allocated to the unit).

Post WW1

In 1926 it became the Hermitage Convalescent Home run by the Printers’ Medical Aid and Sanatoria Association (PMA), until around 1970 when it reopened as private nursing home. The basement became a nightclub run by Joe Riordan during the late 1970s/early 1980s.


Permission to demolish the existing building and the erection of a seven storey building comprising 28 flats with ancillary parking for 28 cars was granted in 1985.


References & Notes