This school was formerly the 'West Hill House School', the school being based in West Hill House and run initially by the Rev. W. Porter. This building was rapidly out-grown and so a new site and building was opened in Hastings.
A new 'University School', built at Step Meadow (junction Holmesdale Gardens and Redmayne Drive) was opened in 1874. It was designed by the Architect Thomas Elsworthy of St Leonards. It was a large building, with a square tower on its north-east corner.
In 1932 it was demolished by the Royal East Sussex Hospital, which opened a nurses’ home on its site in July 1934 (now demolished).
References & Notes
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 25 June 1932 Pg. 0007
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 27 February 1875 pg. 8