The Grove (House)
|The Grove (House)|
The property known as 'The Grove' standing in the parish known as Wilting, went through at least four stages of development, the first few as a house which was known to have existed on the site since the 13th Century. The property was purchased from Gilbert de Gensing by the Levett family and rebuilt in 1483 Upon the death of Richard Levett's great grandson, his sister inherited the property and she later married into the Eversfield Family
There was a rebuilding in 1804, when two large chimneys were feared to be near-collapse and much of the building demolished; the remainder being converted to a farmhouse. In turn, the farmer was evicted from the property prior to another rebuilding, the chimneys that were supposed to fall remaining standing and incorporated into the new residence. In 1952, The Grove was placed under a Compulsory Purchase Order by Hastings Borough Council in the sum of £6280. The house was subsequently demolished to make room for the first stage of The Grove School for boys, with only a portion of the stable block remaining (although by 2020, this too had been cleared in spite of being a listed building).