The Fermor, later Eversfield Baronetcy, of Welches in the County of Suffolk and of Sevenoak in the County of Kent, was a title in the Baronetage of Great Britain. It was created on 4 May 1725 for Henry Fermor, with remainder in default of male issue of his own to Charles Eversfield, of Denne Park, near Horsham, West Sussex. He was succeeded according to the special remainder by the aforementioned Charles Eversfield, the second Baronet. He was the son of Charles Eversfield (1683-1748), Member of Parliament for Horsham. The title became extinct on his death in 1784.
Making much of the families money from the Wealden iron industry, the Eversfield estate acquired lands that encompassed most of St. Leonards, particularly to the west.
There were a number of complaints about the quality of roads constructed by and on the estate
References & Notes
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 04 October 1873 pg. 5