St. Paul's School
St. Paul's School originally stood on a slight elevation just at the end of the wall surrounding the Summerfields House estate known as 'Briscoe's Wall' (now the 'Y' centre, or YMCA building).
Opening in 1871, and realising the ambition of the Rev. H. Robinson to build such a school, the building cost £2,200 and was designed to 'provide for the education and occupation of the poor'. The buildings accomodated a boy's school for 100 boys, a girl's school for 120 girls and an infant's school for 100 children. At the time of the opening, only the boy's portion and a small part of the girl's school had been completed. The design was carried out by the architects Messrs. Jeffery and Skiller of Havelock Road with the building work carried out in red brick by Mr. Bridgeland, a builder of St. Leonards. At the opening ceremony carried out at 3pm on the 26th of August, 1871, two hundred children paraded up Bohemia Road led by the Rev. H. Robinson, the Rev. F. Kiddell and the Rev. W. T. T. Webber, with many ladies and gentlemen; Herr Klee's band at the very head. Once at the school building, the party entered the new building where a service of dedication was carried out and speeches given, followed by tea and cakes for the assembled throng
The new building for St Pauls School opened on the 29th of June 1962 in a ceremony attended by Sir Adrian Boult, the Mayor (Councillor D. W. Wilshin, M.B.E. J.P.) Mr. H. Hail (Chair of the Governors), the Bishop of Chichester (The Right Rev. Roger P. Wilson, M.A. D.D)
References & Notes
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 2 September 1871 Pg. 0003