St. Clements Halton

From Historical Hastings

St Clements church, Halton was built in 1838, funded by local benefactor Countess Waldegrave. Doubt exists over the names of both the original architects and those who added the chancel in 1888. The Gothic Revival building had lancet windows, an aisleless nave and a bellcote. Sir Ninian Comper provided a stained glass window in 1939. The building was demolished in 1970, the vicarage next door was also demolished at the same time, with the last minister being Thomas Chatfield. The burial ground is now a pocket park.


Thomas Chatfield[1]


References & Notes

  1. Peter Bolwell Facebook