|Address||361 The Ridge|
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Originaly built as a residence for Baroness Von Roemer, Sandrock Hall was built around 1868 but not being large enough for the requirements of a subsequent owner in 1880, was considerably increased by the addition on the ground-floor of new kitchens and a drawing-room measuring 32ft. by 21ft. The works were carried out under the superintendence of the architect, Mr. Murray, of Hastings, by Messrs. Howell and Son, builders.
Following the deaths of Miss Hastings Burlton and Miss C. E. Dick Lowe (who had been resident in the property since at least 1899) in 1909 and 1914 respectively, the buildings and contents were placed on the market. The two ladies were well-known in the town for their support of charitable causes.
The Rev. G. A. Scott was listed as making some alterations to the building in 1919, leading to the building becoming the Sandrock Hall Preparatory School for Boys in the early 1920s under his tutelage. A number of further extensions to form a vestry and classrooms occurred in 1929 and 1925 respectively.
Following WW2, in 1948, a change of use application was lodged to utilise the building as a boarding and ballet school. In 1951, land and buildings were purchased from Charles Douglas of 30 Warrior Square to extend the physical training facilities of the school.
Later, the building was used as a school around the 1960s run by a particularly devout order of Salesian nuns.
Find of Roman Coin
A coin of Maximinus II, dating from AD 270 - 313 was found in the grounds of the building during 1936.
References & Notes
- The Building News, September 17th 1880.
- Kelly's Directory 1899
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 16 May 1914 Pg. 0007
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 27 February 1909 Pg. 0009
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 8 November 1919 Pg. 0008
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 29 November 1919 Pg. 0009
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep DH/C/6/1/10505
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep DH/C/6/1/9636
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep DH/C/40/1948/294
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep DH/B/83/443
- Hastings Forum: Boarding Schools/on the the ridge or old london road - Hastings Forum, accessdate: 11 December 2019
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep MES839