The Pelican was a collier that regularly used to deliver coal to Hastings Beach. The vessel was driven up onto the shingle in a similar fashion to the fishing fleet to unload.
Unfortunately, she was driven ashore during a storm on the 11th of November 1879 and wrecked, although there was also speculation about foul play; a hawser appearing to have been cut by a knife. Her name is borne by the Pelican public house near to where she was wrecked. The figurehead, a pelican is believed to still be in the Hastings Museum collection.