P. M. Powell (-1850)
Powell opened a library on the seafront a year after acquiring property there in 1812, rebuilding it in 1825. He was also the builder and proprietor of what was known as the 'New Warm Baths' which were situated on the beach to the east of the fort - almost opposite the entrance to the High Street in 1815. The baths were not successful and were converted into two shops by 1828. In later life he became bankrupt and moved to America where he died at the age of 79 in 1850. His business post-bankruptcy was eventually acquired by Joseph Cooper who maintained it until around 1850.