Old Mill

From Historical Hastings
Old Fairlight Mill (Brett Vol. 3 Chap. 39)

At present, this mill is being identified by the nomenclature utilised by Cousins.[1]. This was actually the second Fairlight mill built for Edward Milward in 1819[2]. It was destroyed in a fire on 21st April 1869. From imagery in Cousins, it would appear to have been a Smock Mill. There were undoubtedly earlier mills, but the first known about in any detail was a post mill known from 1723[2].

References & Notes

  1. Hastings of Bygone Days and the Present (Henry Cousins - 1911) pg.123 ISBN: 9789332862449 ESCC Library Google Books " Amazon
  2. a b Robert Wilcock - Via email