1723 Post Mill

From Historical Hastings

This mill is the earliest windmill in the area that is known of in any detail. Millers were Benjamin Carswell , then Richard Simpson, his widow Elizabeth, then his son George until his death in 1819. Edward Milward Jr acquired it in 1811. After George Simpson died Edward built a new mill nearby, a smock mill. A little known fact is that he traded from it himself until 1833. When it burnt down in 1869 the name was transferred to the Down Mill at Guestling that later became known as Jenner’s Mill[1]. {{RN}

  1. Robert Wilcock - via email